disinformation from conservative activists that Covid is a serious or debilitating illness exclusively for the extremely old infirm, helped to drive down vaccination rates across the South, Heartland. Those consequences will play out now in PICUs across the nation in coming wks
@PeterHotez You are right in your concern. I'm in Arkansas and we are seeing younger patients with serious COVID. Our Chancellor said today in our @uamshealth public health report that the avg age of hosp patients now is 40, much lower than previously
The Dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine, Professor at the Departments of Pediatrics and Molecular Virology & Microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine, and
Endowed Chair in Tropical Pediatrics
at Texas Children's Hospital is concerned: twitter.com/peterhotez/sta…
Fox News is doing all it can to push horrific misinformation about adolescent vaccines.
These vaccines are astoundingly safe & effective, & it is so dispiriting to see these conservative anti-vaxx tirades. twitter.com/PeterHotez/sta…
Epidemiologist & health economist. Senior Fellow, @FAScientists. Former 16 yrs @Harvard. Environment, health & social justice. COVID updates since Jan 2020.
KIDS HOSPITALIZATIONS—hospitalizations are ~2-3 times more than back in the winter months with #COVID19 in Arkansas. “We are seeing more and more kids admitted because of their COVID infection”. This is #DeltaVariant. Let’s vax and mask to protect kids.🧵
2) “Previously most children that were admitted were incidentally found to be COVID positive. They weren’t admitted because of COVID—some other reason. Now we’re seeing more and more children admitted because of their COVID infection—primary reason for their hospital admission."
3) “The most serious cases are those who are adolescents or “tweens.”
"They’re the ones that are in the ICU that have COVID-pneumonia and are requiring significant support," Barr said.
The hospital has not admitted a child that has been vaccinated.
4) “About half the children are in that category: old enough to be vaccinated but have not received the vaccine yet," Barr said.
Dr. Barr says they are seeing a few hospitalizations but not serious reactions in babies and toddlers between the ages of one to three.
5) “many younger people are foregoing vaccinations because they “feel they can get through it.”… but “They are not factoring in #LongCOVID— last for months and could be permanent: shortness of breath, heart palpitations, anxiety, depression, brain fog, loss in smell and taste.”
8) Kids hospitalizations is the main worry of mind. And kids are innocent. Most aren’t eligible yet and many parents choose for their kids and bring virus home— leaving many vulnerable. twitter.com/drericding/sta…